- Emoji Profile Pictures. Quickly create group and profile pictures from animated emoji and stickers with the new “Use an Emoji” option.
- Emoji Categories. Filter stickers and emoji by categories like “love”, “cheers” or “sleeping” in the sticker and emoji tabs.
- Chat Translation. As a Premium user, translate entire chats in real time as you scroll them or receive new messages.
- Media Permissions in Groups. Control whether members of your groups can send 9 distinct media types – like Photos, Voice or Video Messages.
- Select Chats for Bots. Bot developers can now let users quickly select groups, channels or contacts that meet predefined criteria (more in @BotNews).
- Open in New Window. Open chats or additional accounts in separate windows.
- Media with spoiler effects. You can wrap photos and videos you send in a fuzzy cover by selecting media in the attachment menu and tapping (…) > Hide With Spoiler.
- Setting pictures for your contacts. You can choose your own picture for a contact – only you will see it on their profile.
- Suggested profile pictures. When editing your contacts, you can suggest a photo for their profile. It will take them just two clicks to add the picture you suggested.
- Public profile pictures. If you only allow certain users to see your profile photos, you can set a public picture for everyone else.
- Ultimate profile picture privacy. You can set 'Who can see my profile photos' to 'Nobody' and add some users or groups as exceptions.
- Member list privacy. Owners of large groups can hide the list of members.
- You can set a Global Auto-Delete Timer for all new chats and groups you create.
- New messages will be deleted after 1 day, week, month - or a custom duration you choose.
- The new menu in Settings > Privacy & Security > Auto-Delete Messages also lets you set up Auto-Delete for any of your existing chats faster.
- Admins of groups with 100+ members can organize discussions into separate topics.
- Topics now have a two-column layout that keeps recent chats easily accessible as you browse topics.
- Previews of topic messages in the chat list work like a button - click to jump to the last updated topic.
- Up to 5 topics can be pinned to the top of the list.
- Each topic now supports multiple pinned messages.
- The View as Messages mode now shows which topic each message belongs to.
- Badge counters for topics you never opened will have a lighter, less distracting color.
- A new General topic is now included by default, containing service messages and the earlier message history from the group.
- Admins can rename the General topic.
- Large groups can enable Aggressive Filtering in Manage Group > Administrators to remove more spam with automated algorithms.
- Admins help improve filtering by reporting any false positives in Recent Actions.
- Enable message translations in Settings > Language.
- Fast jump to the last updated topic.
- Bug fixes and other minor improvements.
- Groups with more than 200 members can now have their discussions organized into topics.
- Premium users can now convert both voice messages and video messages into text.
- Improve scaling / cropping for photos / video files.
- Improve touch support in channel comments.
- Nice animation for spoilers.
- A new expandable reaction menu was added in private chats and groups.
- All users get access to dozens of new reactions, including reactions previously reserved for Premium users.
- The reactions you use most frequently will always be displayed at the top.
- Premium users can react to messages with thousands of custom emoji and add up to 3 reactions to each message.
- Group admins can control whether custom reactions are allowed in their groups.
- Premium users can add an animated emoji status next to their name to display their current activity.
- To set a status, tap your Premium badge in the main menu or Settings.
- Popular suggestions for working, sleeping, traveling and more will be shown at the top.
- To set a status for a specific duration like 1 hour or 2 days, right click the emoji.
- A new format was supported for username links, in addition to “t.me/username.” You can now open Telegram accounts, groups or channels using links like “username.t.me” or “https://username.t.me.”
- Improved support for long media captions.
- Fix editing media captions with animated emoji.
- Fix viewing animated emoji sets used in a message.
- Fix premium sticker tooltip auto-show in channel comments.
- Fix main window position and size restoring after relaunch.
- Other bug fixes and minor improvements.
- Include animated emoji in messages and captions.
- Premium users unlock over 500 new emoji, including custom packs with unique characters.
- All users can view any emoji – and try them out in the Saved Messages chat.
- Control who can send you voice and video messages with Telegram Premium.
- Send a Premium subscription to any user from their profile.
- Choose 3, 6, or 12 months – at a discount.
v 4.0 21.06.22
- Premium: Send media and files each up to 4 GB in size.
- Premium: Download media and files at the fastest possible speed, with no limits.
- Premium: Double most of the limits in the app.
- Premium: Get a new button next to any voice message to generate a transcript of its audio.
- Premium: React with even more emoji, including and .
- Premium: Send unique stickers with additional effects, updated monthly.
- Premium: Set a default chat folder or enable tools to auto-archive and hide new chats.
- Premium: Subscribers have a badge next to their name, showing they help support Telegram.
- Premium: Show off your profile video that will be animated for everyone in chats and the chat list.
- Premium: Sponsored Messages that are sometimes shown in public channels will no longer appear.
- Enable join requests for your public groups – no invite links required.
- Users who open the group will see an Apply to Join Group button.
- Once approved by an admin, users will be able to participate in the chat.
- Bots that are integrated into the attachment menu can be programmed to work in groups and channels.
v 3.7 16.04.22
- Use any short music file or voice message as a notification sound.
- Right click audio files in chats to add them to your list of sounds - or use 'Upload Sound' in the Notifications menu.
- Click on Mute notifications > Select sound in a chat's (…) menu to change its notification sound.
- Set custom tones for notifications in Settings > Notifications > Play sound.
- Click on Mute notifications in a chat's (…) menu to manage its notifications.
- Choose 'Mute for…' to turn off notifications for a preset period, like 1 hour or 1 day.
- Quickly configure Auto-Delete settings from any chat info page.
- Click (…) to turn on Auto-Delete, then select a specific duration.
- Replies are now preserved when forwarding messages, making forwarded conversations easier to read.
- Bots can now open detailed pages directly in the chat.
- Use these streamlined interfaces to buy real-world goods and services without leaving the app.
- Open a bot's profile to add it to your group or channel.
- Instantly configure a bot's rights and permissions when adding it.
- Bots can send a new type of button that lets you add them to your group or channel.
v 3.6.1 16.03.22
- Change volume for RTMP stream from the context menu.
- Set a profile photo from your camera.
- Improve RTMP stream full screen mode.
- Improve edit account section design.
- Fix switching personal account or channel in video chats.
- Fix pinning chats in folders with 100 chats.
- Fix YouTube timestamp links after 10 hours.
v 3.6 11.03.22
- Active and recently finished downloads pop up in bar in the bottom left corner, like they do in browsers.
- View recently downloaded files in Settings > Advanced > Downloads.
- Get an alert before closing the app if you have unfinished downloads.
- Share a direct t.me link to your phone number that instantly opens a chat with you.
- Use the full number in international format, like t.me/+123456789
- Manage Live Streams in your channels using external software like OBS Studio or XSplit Broadcaster.
- Choose “Stream With…” when staring a video chat or live stream - then copy your Stream Key and paste it into your streaming software.
v 3.5.2 08.02.22
- Fix a freeze in audio playback on Linux.
- Fix a crash in screen sharing initialization on Linux.
v 3.5.1 04.02.22
- Keep the screen on while watching a video or participating in a video chat.
- Save experimental settings between relaunches.
- Bug fixes and other minor improvements.
v 3.5 31.01.22
- Use a new type of detailed stickers with smooth animations.
- Create new sets by sending .webm videos to @stickers.
- Bring your custom animated stickers from other apps.
- See smaller, compact animations when reacting to messages.
- See real-time animations in chat when a user reacts to your message.
- React with additional emoji expressing love, appreciation, anger or surprise.
- Tap the new button in chats to jump to your messages that have unseen reactions.
- Watch the animations for unseen reactions play when you hit the button.
- The app will warn you before closing if you are uploading photos or files to a chat.
- Enjoy better screencast quality in video chats.
v 3.4.8 19.01.22
- Beautifully animated reactions.
- Support for snap layouts on Windows 11.
- Bug fixes and two bowls of miso soup.
v 3.4 31.12.21
- Hover over any message to show the reaction button.
- Click the button for a quick reaction – or hover over it for the full range of emoji.
- Group and Channel admins can enable reactions in their chat via '…' menu > Manage > Reactions.
- Select text when typing and choose 'Formatting > Spoiler' in the context menu to hide some or all of the contents of a message.
- Click on the spoiler animation in chat to reveal its hidden text.
- Spoiler formatting hides text in chat, as well as in the chat list and notifications.
v 3.3 07.12.21
- Content creators can restrict the ability to save media and forward messages from their groups and channels.
- Clear messages in one-on-one chats from a specific day or date range.
- Comment as one of your channels in public groups and channel comments.
- When you request to join a community and its admin or bot-admin contacts you with a message, you will see which chat they are from at the top of the chat.
- Bot-admins can now ask users to complete tasks before they are allowed to join - like accepting community rules, passing a test, or making a donation to the content creators.
v 3.2 03.11.21
- Create special invite links that require admins to approve users before they become members.
- Admins can view the applicants' profiles and bios by tapping the Join Requests bar at the top of the chat.
- Add internal labels to your chat's Invite Links to keep them organized.
- More Interactive Emoji - , , , , or
v 3.1 19.09.21
- Some animated emoji now have extra effects.
- Send , . . . or to any private chat, then click on the animated emoji to launch the effect.
- If your chat partner also has the chat open, you will both see the effects.
- See the “Watching” status when your chat partner is enjoying emoji effects with you.
- More interactive emoji coming soon.
- Right click one of your outgoing messages in small groups to see who recently viewed it.
- To protect privacy, read receipts are only stored for 7 days after the message was sent.
- Record video and audio from live broadcasts in your group or channel.
- Admins can start recording from the '…' menu.
- Choose between recording in portrait or landscape orientation.
- Finished recordings are sent to the admin's Saved Messages and can be easily shared.
v 3.0 31.08.21
- Broadcast video and share your screen to an unlimited number of viewers.
- To begin, click on the Live Stream button in the title bar of a community where you are an admin.
- Click on the “Forward Message” label above the input field to change how messages will be sent.
- Hide or show the original sender's name.
- Remove or keep captions from media messages.
- See how many unread comments there are when opening a channel's comments.
If you would like to get all updates faster and be the first to test new features, you are welcome to use Telegram Desktop's beta version updates.
The stable version is updated less frequently, but is tested better than the beta version.
Here are the beta version links for different platforms:
Windows x64 Setup
Windows x64 Portable
Mac OS X 10.12+ Setup
Linux 64 bit
Just install it on top of your current Telegram Desktop and there you go.
Old system versions
The up-to-date versions of Telegram Desktop support Windows 7 and later, macOS 10.12 and later and 64 bit Linux. But there are old versions available:
v2.4.4 Setup for OS X 10.10 and 10.11
v2.4.4 for Linux 32 bit
v1.8.15 Setup for Windows XP / Vista
v1.8.15 Portable for Windows XP / Vista
v1.8.15 Setup for OS X 10.6 and 10.7
v1.8.15 Setup for OS X 10.8 and 10.9